The full form of MLA is the Member of the Legislative Assembly who is related to the administrations and politics sector of a particular country.
The member of the legislative assembly is a representative who is elected by the voters of a particular electoral legislative or constituency to the legislature of the state government in the Indian government system.
Each legislative of a particular state elects one representative member from that legislative who becomes a member of the legislative assembly of the state and represents their particular area or district in Bidhan Sabha.
The voters of a legislative appoint MLA for their legislative.
For every MP or the Member of Parliament in the Lok Sabha of the Indian constitution system, there can be four to nine Members of the Legislative Assembly who have various and different responsibilities according to their role.
Requirements to become MLA
Each state in India can have four to nine MLAs for their respective MP in the Lok Sabha. Every MLA need some requirements to be elected as a member of the legislative assembly such as –
- MLA candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- The candidate for MLA must be 25 years old or above.
- The MLA candidate must be a voter of any constituency in India.
- The MLA must not have any mental condition or any kind of debt.
Duties of MLA
The role and responsibilities of each Member of Parliament can change. Some MLAs sometimes can have more than one responsibilities such as one MLA can be a cabinet minister or chief minister also. Mainly these are the duties of a Member of the Legislative Assembly –
- The MLA is responsible to represent their people and their aspirations then take them with the state government.
- The member of the legislative assembly is responsible to raise the issues of local netizens of his constituency in front of the state government.
- The MLA should use different legislative tools for the advantages of their district’s members.
- The member of the legislative assembly should develop their constituency with the utmost help of their local area development (LAD) fund.
Who is called MLA?
The member of the legislative assembly is called MLA who is elected by the people of a district or constituency by voting to represent local issues in the state government.
Every district of a state has at least four or nine MLAs. To become a member of the legislative assembly the candidate doesn’t need to be a member of a political party.
The MLA candidate can take part in MLA elections as an independent candidate also.
How are MLA elected?
The member of the legislative assembly or representative of people in a particular constituency. The MLA is elected by-elections where citizens vote for their favourite member who can represent them as a constituency to the legislature of the state government in the Indian system of government.
People from each constituency elect one MLA or representative by voting who later becomes a member of the legislative assembly.
How can I become MLA in India?
To become MLA in India the candidate doesn’t need to be a member of a political party then can still be a part of the contest of MLA voting.
To become a member of the legislative assembly in India one needs to at least 25 years old or above and a citizen of India.
The MLA candidate must be a voter of any Indian constituency. Apart from this one should not be bankrupt and mad to become a member of the legislative assembly in India.
What is the salary of MLA in India?
Per monthly salary of the member of the legislative assembly in India varies from Rs. 20000 to Rs. 2, 50000. some states pay their MLA very high monthly salary, whereas some still pay low monthly salary.
What is the minimum age of MLA?
The minimum age to become a member of the legislative assembly in India is 25 years old.
Which state has the highest and lowest salary for MLA in India?
The highest salary for MLA in India is in the Telangana and Delhi state which 250000 and the lowest MLA salary in India is in Tripura and Meghalaya states which is 20000 per month.
Interesting Facts about MLA-
- The highest MLA is in the state of Uttar Pradesh, where there are 404 MLAs while Pondicherry state has only 33 MLAs which is the lowest in the whole of India.
- According to a report in The Hindu newspaper, more than 40% of India’s MLA is undergoing a criminal case.
Some other famous full forms of MLA
MLA- Medical Library Association- in Academics and Science
MLA- Market Level Adjustment- in Business
MLA- Many Laughs Assured- in internet slang, or during chatting