NEET meaning or full form is National Eligibility cum entrance test.
NEET is a National Level Common Entrance Examination, in which qualified students get admission in different courses of the medical field like MBBS, BDS, BHMS etc.
This exam conducted by NTA (national testing agency) is necessary for admission in Medical College of India.
Depending on how a student has scored in NEET exam, he gets admission in different government and private medical colleges and courses.
There are two types of NEET exam NEET UG and NEET PG.
NEET UG is required for admission in undergraduate courses such as MBBS, BDS and BHMS.
All medical colleges in India admit to the undergraduate medical courses through this entrance exam.
AIIMS and JIPMER are two medical colleges in India, which have permission to conduct entrance exam separately.
In MBBS admission in Government Medical College, in every medical college, 85% seats are reserved for the students of that state, 15% seats are for All India Students.
History of NEET
NEET started in 2013 before India had a lot of entrance exam for medical admission, different colleges and states conduct their own entrance exam.
Due to which students had to face a lot of trouble, and there was a lot of corruption in the admission.
Keeping in mind all these things, the concept of one entrance exam was brought for the whole of India.
Today, due to NEET, medical UG admission and medical PG admission is being done in a very transparent manner.
NEET UG Eligibility
Students who have studied Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects in 12th, and whose percentage of twelfth is above 50%, can write the neet-ug exam. (40% for reserved category)
For NEET UG the age of the student should be at least 17 years.
NEET UG key points
- NEET UG is conducted every year in the month of May.
- This exam is taken from pen and paper i.e. offline.
- The full marks of NEET UG exam is 720, in which students scoring around 120 every year are eligible for counselling.
- The application fee for this entrance exam is Rs 1500.
- This entrance exam is of 3 hours, and objective type questions are asked in it.
This exam also has negative marking, and a mark is deducted for any wrong answer.
- For admission in Government Medical Colleges of India, which have low tuition fees, a student should score at least 500 in NEET UG
- A total of 1174 medical colleges come under NEET UG.
- There are more than 15 lakh students appear for this entrance exam.
- There are a total of 92 thousand MBBS seats under this exam, of which 31000 seats in government medical colleges.
NEET PG has a full form National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Post Graduate.
NEET PG or Post Graduate Entrance Examination is conducted for admission in postgraduate courses in medical colleges in India.
It is necessary to write and qualify this entrance exam for admission in PG courses (MD, MS) in Medical College of India.
Students who have done MBBS course from MCI Recognized Medical College are eligible for this entrance exam.
NEET PG key points
- This entrance exam is conducted in the month of January every year in online mode i.e. computer-based.
- NBE means National Board of Examination conducts this exam.
- For this National Level Entrance Exam, one can apply only online and the application fee is Rs 3750.
- During the 3 hours 30 minutes entrance exam, 300 multiple choice questions are asked, and it also has a negative marking scheme.
- The total mark of this entrance exam is 1200, and the students scoring around 400 qualify.
- This entrance exam is conducted in English language only.
- There are more than 1.5 lakh students appear for this entrance exam.
- About 550 medical colleges participate in this entrance exam, and there is a total of more than 10,000 seats.
Similar Full Forms