CDS meaning or full form is Combined Defence Services.
The full form of CDS is Combined Defence Services which is a defence service examination conducted and administrated twice every year.
The combined defence service is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to recruit officers for the Indian Military academy, Indian Air Force Academy, Indian naval academy and officers training academy.
This CDS examination is normally conducted every year twice in the months of February and November. Candidates that successfully pass the combined defence services interview conducted by the Service Selection Board are further admitted into their respective Academies.
The different thing about CDS is that only unmarried candidates can give this examination.
Eligibility for CDS
This is the eligibility criteria for the combined defence service examination –
The age limit for the CDS exam is as follow –
- For the Indian military academy, the Air force academy and the Naval academy age limit is 19 to 24 years.
- For officers training academy age limit is 19 to 25 years.
- Here is the required educational qualification for the combined defence academy exam –
- For the Indian military academy and officers training academy age, the candidate has to have a degree from a recognized university.
- For the Indian Naval academy, the candidate needs to have a degree in Engineering from a recognized University.
- To get into the Air force academy the candidate is required to have a degree from a recognized university of Bachelor of Engineering degree.
Physical standards for CDS
As the CDS is a defence academy examination so the candidate is required to have a particular physical standard and these are as follow –
- CDS examination aspirants must be physically and mentally fit.
- For the candidates of the CDS exam, permanent tattoos on their body are prohibited.
- There should be no hernia anywhere on the body of the candidate.
- The CDS candidate should not have any active congenital venereal disease.
- The Combined defence academy aspirant is required to have no hearing impairment, disabilities in-ears vestibule cochlear system.
Structure of CDS examination
This is the structure and exam stages for the combined defence service examination –
The Mode of the CDS exam is offline in pen and paper type.
The candidate has to pass two stages of the CDS examination –
- Written exam and
- SSB interview
- The exam duration of the CDS exam is 2 hours for each paper.
- The CDS exam is conducted in both languages – English and Hindi
This is the exam pattern for the CDS written examination –
There will be 340 MCQs for the examination for IMA, AFA and INA
There will be 240 MCQs for the officer training academy examination.
These are the subjects to prepare for the CDS written examination – English, General Knowledge, Mathematics etc.
Is NCERT books enough for CDS?
Yes, the examination of Combined Defence Service is mostly based on the NCERT syllabus so NCERT notes are used for reference for CDS.
Can girls give the CDS exam?
Yes, girls can apply for Combined Defence Service and can give CDS examination. CDS examination allow female candidates to be selected as OTA candidates. These female candidates will be later commissioned in a short service commission.
Are CD, S easy than NDA?
Yes, the CDS written examination is easier than the NDA exam because NDA has a high-level math syllabus while CDS includes only an elementary level mathematics syllabus. However, the SSB interview is tough for the CDS examination as compared to the NDA exam.
What is the work of a CDS officer?
CDS candidates are recruited for the Indian Army, Air force and Navy so they join the defence academy later and are posted accordingly. The work of CDS officer is based on their post such as – Captain, Major, and Lieutenant Etc.
What is the salary of a CDS officer?
The salary of each CDS officer depends on their post in their respective defence academy. The salary of the CDS officer is comprised of basic pay and allowances such as high altitude allowance, DA and uniform allowance etc. The salary of a CDS officer varies from 50000 to 3 Lakhs.
Some other famous full forms of CDS-
CDS- Central Depository System- in Stock Exchange
CDS- Container Delivery System- in Military
CDS- Commercial Documentation Services- in General Business