IRS full form or meaning is Indian Revenue Service, Also called Bhartiya Rajasva Seva.
Indian Revenue Service comes under Public Service, and for this A-grade job, UPSC exam has to be qualified.
IRS is one of the most popular options among UPSC exam qualifying students.
This service is an administrative revenue service of the Government of India, Which works under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.
This department helps the Government of India to generate revenue in different ways.
The Indian Revenue Service helps the central government in direct and indirect tax collection.
This job is one of the most respected and responsible jobs in India for which lakhs of students apply every year and only a few of them are able to clear this exam.
As you know, IAS and IPS are considered to be the highest of all posts under UPSC, but IAS and IPS officers have to directly interact with the common people and governance, due to which many times these officers Feeling uncomfortable, that’s why many people choose IRS service even if they are top-ranked in UPSC so that their public interaction can be less, and they can work for the country from office.
The IRS consists of two branches the Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax) and the Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Indirect Taxes).
IRS officers play an important role in the country’s progress, good governance and security because all these can be achieved through a good tax collection in the country.
History of IRS
Income tax was introduced in India by the British in 1860, Which was re-formed after independence in 1953 as Indian Revenue Service.
Students who dream of becoming an IRS officer are required to fulfil certain basic Eligibility conditions.
- Nationality– Indian
- Age– minimum 21 years, maximum of 32 years (age relaxation for SC / ST and PH candidates)
- Educational Qualification– Graduation in any discipline from any Recognized University
- No. of attempts– 6 for general category, relaxation for other categories student
The UPSC exam conducted for IRS and other post has three following steps-
- Mains exam
IRS ranks, Salary and Promotion
|Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax||Rs. 15,600-39,100
Grade pay of Rs.5,400
|Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax||Rs. 15,600-39,100
Grade pay of 6600
|Joint Commissioner of Income Tax||Rs. 15,600-39,100
Grade pay of 7600
|Additional Commissioner of Income Tax||Rs. 37,400-67,000
Grade pay of 8700
|Commissioner of Income Tax||Rs. 37,400-67,000
Grade pay of 10,000
|Principal Commissioner of Income Tax||HAG
scale of 67,000-79,000
|Chief Commissioner of Income Tax||HAG
the scale of 75,500–80,000
|Principal Chief Commissioner of Income||Rs. 80,000 (fixed)|
|Cabinet Secretary (highest)||Rs. 90,000 (fixed)|
- People believe and it has often been seen that the IRS officer takes more years than IPS and IAS officer to get a promotion.
IRS job is considered a royal job as it provides a lot of good facilities along with a good salary from the government.
Some of the major facilities available to an Indian Revenue Service officer are:-
- Residence- bungalow with maid, gardener and security
- Transport- car with driver
- Bills- all bills, such as water, electricity, Mobile
- Pension- lifetime pension after retirement
- Trips- free family trips in India and abroad
IRS officer responsibilities-
- The most important job of an IRS officer is to take all those steps to ensure maximum tax collection.
- If there is any mistake in the tax paid by a person or company, then taking necessary steps to correct it is also an important task of the IRS officer.
- To uncover and investigate any type of scam.
- Posting of IRS officers is also done at the country’s border and International Airport so that they can prevent any kind of smuggling and save the country from economic loss.
- Taking necessary steps to improve the country’s tax system over time is also an important task of the officials of the Indian Revenue Service.
Is IAS or IRS better?
In many ways, IAS is better than the IRS.
An IAS officer gets a much larger field of work, in which he gets a chance to work for the people directly.
The salary of the same IAS officer is also slightly higher than the IAS officer, and the promotion of the officer is also quicker than the IAS officer.
For example, an IAS officer takes about 16 years to become a commissioner while an IRS officer takes 20 to 22 years.
some other full forms of IRS
IRS- Internal revenue service in the USA
IRS- Interest rate swap in the stock exchange and business
Similar full forms
Ajay Kumar is an Electrical Engineer who has been working in the field of education for more than a decade. His education and technology related website and YouTube channel have been well-liked by the people. He is famous for explaining technical terms in easy language.
How did you like this article?
If you have any suggestions or questions, then please comment. Follow the Author on social media.