IAS meaning or full form is Indian Administrative Service.
IAS is one of the highest and respected posts in India.
Millions of students want to get an IAS job in India, but only a few people get this dream fulfilled.
It is the highest post in India as a government and administrative job, where people get a good salary, along with a lot of respect.
To become an IAS, one has to track the UPSC (civil services) exam and only the students who get the best rank in UPSC get IAS post.
An IAS officer is appointed as a District Magistrate or Collector in a district after a few years of service.
The law that is made for the people, IAS officers are directly involved in the process, and it is the responsibility of the IAS officer to implement those laws in the district.
So, people whose dream is to do something good for the people, for society, they must try to become IAS officer
History of IAS
The history of the IAS is very old and was started by the British in 1858 as the Imperial Civil Service.
After independence, it came to be known as Indian Administrative Services from 1950.
- Any Indian student who has completed graduation in any discipline can appear in the UPSC Civil Services Exam to be conducted for IAS and other 24 posts.
- The age of the student should be at least 21 years and a maximum of 32 years, here the maximum age relaxation has been given from 3 to 5 years according to different categories.
- A student who belongs to a general category can apply for the maximum 6 times.
The same OBC students 9 times and no limit has been kept for SC-ST students.
The UPSC exam conducted for IAS post has three following steps-
- Mains exam
IAS Post and Promotion schedule
Service in Years Posts
|No. of service year||District Administration||State Secretariat||Central Secretariat|
|1-4||Sub-divisional magistrate||Undersecretary||Assistant Secretary|
|5-8||Additional district magistrate||Deputy Secretary||Undersecretary|
|8-12||District magistrate||Joint Secretary||Deputy Secretary|
|13-16||District magistrate||Special secretary-cum-director||Director|
|16-24||Divisional commissioner||Secretary-cum-commissioner||Joint Secretary|
|25-30||Divisional commissioner||Principal Secretary||Additional secretary|
|30-33||No Equivalent Rank||Additional Chief Secretary||No Equivalent Rank|
|34-36||No Equivalent Rank||Chief Secretary||Secretary|
|37+||No Equivalent Rank||No Equivalent Rank||Cabinet Secretary of India|
IAS job is considered a royal job as it provides a lot of good facilities along with a good salary from the government.
Some of the major facilities available to an Indian Administrative Services officer are:-
- Residence- bungalow with maid, gardener and security
- Transport- car with driver
- Bills- all bills, such as water, electricity, Mobile
- Pension- lifetime pension after retirement
- Trips- free family trips in India and abroad
Role and Responsibility of IAS Officer
IAS post is the biggest job in every case, so there is a lot of responsibility as well.
some key responsibilities are-
- Handle the district administration
- Handle the daily affairs of the Government.
- Maintain the law and order in his working area
- to collect government revenue as a collector
- Distribution of funds and recourses for implementation of Policies
- Advising the government while making policy for the people
What is the salary of an IAS officer?
IAS officer’s salary starts at a basic of ₹ 56100 initially, and as the post progresses, the salary also increases.
Above this basic salary DA, TA, HRA is also given.
So if someone joins as an IAS officer right now, they will get an initial salary above ₹ 100000 in hand.
IAS Officers also get good salary increments along with post-increment, if any IAS officer is currently with more than 30 years experience, then his basic salary is above two lakhs after the implementation of the Seventh Pay Commission.
Other famous full forms of IAS
|IAS- International Accounting Standards– in terms of accounting and business|
|IAS- International Approval Services- in terms of International business|
|IAS- Institute of advanced studies– in terms of University|
|IAS- Internet authentication service- in terms of Internet|
Similar full forms
IPS full form
IRS full form
IFS full form